Never did I think how much the chimney would occupy my time. The wood lintel ( see stepped brick structure is in what would have been the kitchen area) it sat on apart from only being 5 inches by 5 inches, was rotten. See below
This house had not been occupied in 30 years – unless you call pigeons inhabitants and so , wet and damp gets into everything and weakens inferior woods. This chimney being incorporated now into a free-standing wall – the only significant keying in was by now rotten wooden lintels into the front of the house; this gave me more than a few moments of self-doubt as to whether I was up to fixing this monstrosity.
In the end I decided to keep the centre wall which had the unusual feature of the smoking chamber which had stones lining its roof; this became a major goal for me to preserve as I had never seen this before. I will dedicate a much more detailed account of how I have incorporated this into my restoration.
If you look at the chinmey breast below, large pic, these stones were incorporated into the right-hand side of the slope of the structure
So one fine day I pulled down the brick chimney and crawled carefully up onto the roof with my kango hammer drill and took down a very well-built cement mortar chimney – it was a terrible pity but the under lying support for the upper part was just to fragile and difficult to fix.