My two favourite pieces of scrap wood finally being used
So lots of off -cuts from planks made from our meagre selection of trees that were felled and cut up into pieces primarily for use as beams to carry curtain poles – I never would burn good wood and so after sitting around for 8 years I decided to make window sills that will match with the curtain beams for the 6 upstairs windows.
However it took a few steps to get there as wood was different thickness – so I pack-out with thin ply or scrap wood. Next step was to use dowels to somehow knit planks together – tricky at start but not difficult – I used the tool below on right
so these dowels I put in to cut down on warping and keep different thickness planks together but it is heavy wood and more dowels would be needed plus glue and clamping which isn’t realistic if you don’t have perfectly created flat sides so next step was
screws to secure now dowelled woods together
But a sill needs to be a sound base as it will have someone either sitting on it or standing on it so the final step once packed out with filler wood is to secure 3/4 inch ply to the underbase
The wood is still very rough – I intend to get the same finish as the beams that match it overhead so one day I will take out the woodplaner and beltsander but the hardest bit is done.
Cost of growing trees used for house project – nil
cost of getting trees cut up – 80 euros – scraps were about half of total so 40 euros
cost of scrap ply and few screws – 20 euros tops
cost of labour – that’s arguable as it depends on what else you could be doing
cost if you were to buy 1 sill – many multiples of total sills made cost to me