So after 15 years perhaps I had enough of climbing through the trapdoor cut in the upstairs floor – this had been done as I thought due to the state of the chimney wall – where the new stairs was to go – I could be crushed if the wall decided to collapse such was its state. Also the wall was not top of my priorities and a staircase couldn’t be installed as that would hinder fixing the wall – so a real chicken and egg situation.
So I always like to start a new project at the beginning of each january – it has to be challenging yet not go on for too long otherwise I wander off both mentally and physically – so a new stairs it would be. Of course it has to be cheap so I bought 3 sheets of plywood – 3/4 inch and got out my router. The stairs will be scrapped once I get around to getting the house close to completion so it’s a trial run and will let me see what needs tweaking before I do the good one; also it will be abused no doubt so I don’t have to think about being too careful with it.
I have only built one staircase so far and no complaints – it is still standing.
If you look really closely you will see the top part of an old boot was used to patch part of it – bizarre. Rot has had its wicked way with it – helped along by woodworm and old age I will store it until it becomes invisible – yes all hoarders reach this spiritual level of denial and blindness. Just a pity our significant others dont have this super-power !!!
So from the above to the ensuing steps, no pun intended
To platform structure, angled turn of step
A satisfying stage
Sizing the steps
I just used screws and routed grooves for the threads – these are standard 9″ x 2″.
So all in all it probably cost just over 100 euros – still 2 years of use and counting , still serviceable
Fitting the risers